Celine’s handbags have long been considered the ultimate investment piece due to their timeless designs and minimalist aesthetic. But, how to choose which Celine handbag to go for? While Philo-era “Old Céline” bags are obviously iconic, Hedi Slimane’s “New Celine” styles are no less popular.
I must admit, I am an avid fan of “Old Celine”. I was really saddened back when Phoebe Philo announced her departure from the brand. However, I am also a big fan of Hedi Slimane. So, when it was announced he was to replace Phoebe Philo, I wasn’t mad about it. In fact, I couldn’t wait to see what the future holds for Celine.
Since Hedi Slimane became brand’s new creative director, he has given us numerous covetable Celine handbag designs. Among them Celine 16, Triomphe and Ava bags, just to name a few. However, not even Slimane can overshadow Phoebe Philo’s Celine success. Her handbag designs remain in high demand to this day. Actually, when Phoebe Philo left Celine, prices for her bags have skyrocketed on the resale market.
Out of all Celine handbags, I personally think that the following 5 deserve your attention the most. Keep scrolling to unveil the 5 best Celine bags to invest in! Spoiler alert – there’s both “Old Céline” and “New Celine” in here.
1. Celine Luggage Tote ($2,100-$3,100)Any true Celine lover must have a luggage tote in their collection! One of the most recognizable handbags of all time, the Celine Luggage Tote, is a true industry icon. Released in 2010 under the creative direction of Phoebe Philo, the Luggage tote took the fashion world by storm, becoming a cult-favorite among celebrities and handbag lovers alike.
With its distinctive winged silhouette adorned with a front zipper and two top handles, it’s not difficult to see why the bag remains so highly sought after even 11 years after its launch. And when you see that the bag has been around for over a decade, it’s safe to say it’s a forever piece. Chic and sophisticated, the Celine Luggage Tote is a bag that will remain in your collection forever. The bag currently comes in three different sizes to match every lifestyle.
2. Celine Classic Box Bag ($3,150-$7,500)If you are only going to have one Celine bag in your collection, it better be their Classic Box Bag! A re-designed icon from Celine’s 70’s archives, the Classic Box Bag was introduced in 2011 and has been a quintessential part of Celine’s handbag line-up ever since.
While the shape of the re-issued Celine Classic Box Bag is virtually identical to its predecessor, Phoebe Philo did change the closure from a vintage Celine logo to a more simplistic metal clasp, which was in line with her minimalist vision for the brand. There’s nothing over the top about the Celine Classic Box Bag, that’s why it will always be in style regardless of the current fashion trends. Available in three different sizes and multiple materials from smooth leather to exotics, the Classic Box Bag is a timeless investment into your wardrobe.
3. Celine Triomphe Bag ($2,350-$7,000)With Hedi Slimane becoming the new creative director for Celine, brand’s handbags started incorporating more heritage elements. Introduced as part of Slimane’s debut collection for the brand, the Celine Triomphe Bag pays tribute to brand’s Parisian roots.
The bag boasts the Triomphe emblem – the symbol that’s been used across the brand since the 1970’s. Adopted by Celine Vipiana herself, the emblem is inspired by the chain surrounding the Arc de Triomphe in Paris. Often referred as to the Slimane’s variant of the Classic Box Bag, the Celine Triomphe Bag features a sleek, boxy silhouette with a long shoulder strap. Offered in several different sizes and materials, this bag is a timeless classic that would never go out of style.
4. Celine Belt Bag ($1,850-$2,550)Are you looking for a classic everyday handbag bag with a contemporary feel? Look no further than Celine’s Belt Bag. Another one of Phoebe Philo’s creations for Celine, till this day, the Belt Bag remains one of the most popular “Old Céline” styles among celebrities and fashion bloggers.
The Celine Belt Bag was first introduced in brand’s Pre-Fall 2014 collection. Just like any other “Old Céline” style, the Belt Bag embodies Philo’s minimalist vision. The design is sleek and simple, but what makes it stand out is the tied belt detail decorating the flap. Back when the bag was initially released, it was available in two different sizes. However, Celine since have revisited the range and now the Celine Belt Bag is available in four different sizes. Chic and luxurious, it is another classic Celine style worth investing in.
5. Celine 16 ($3,850-$10k+)First spotted on the arm of Lady Gaga, the Celine 16 is Hedi Slimane’s debut design for the House. Named after the location of Celine’s headquarters and atelier on 16 Rue Vivienne in Paris, the Celine 16 bag was designed by Slimane on his very first day as the new creative director at Celine.
Featuring a sleek and minimal profile, the Celine 16 Bag recaptures some of the House’s historic codes from the 60’s, such as the cropped flap and rounded belt accents. Available in many different materials from calfskin leather to exotics, the bag comes in three different sizes and a multitude of colors. Furthermore, Celine continue to expand the range by releasing new iterations of the style. Popular iterations of the Celine 16 include Celine Soft 16 and Besace 16 bags. A true retro icon, the Celine 16 bag is a worthy addition to every handbag collection.